Translated, this dish means “heaven and Earth”. The name is derived from the 18th century work “Erdapfel” (earth Apples) for potatoes.
Prep: 15 mins Cooking: 1 hour Serves: 2 Skill level: Capable cooks
What you'll need:
- 1 SunPork German Style Pork Knuckle
- 700g russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 large green apple, peeled and chopped
- 2 strips bacon, diced
- 1 brown onion, diced
- ½ Tbsp. sugar
- ½ Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- ¼ tsp salt
How to make it:
- Cook SunPork German Style Pork Knuckle according to packet instructions.
- Place potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to boil, cover and cook for 10 mins.
- Add apple and cook for a further 10 mins or until potatoes and apples are tender.
- Cook bacon in a large frypan over med – high heat until crisp.
- Add onion and cook until lightly browned.
- Drain the potatoes and apples. Add sugar vinegar and salt and mash until smooth.
- Transfer to a serving dish and top with onions and bacon.
- Serve immediately with German Style Pork Knuckle.