What you’ll need
4 SunPork Boneless Pork Loin Steaks
Salt and pepper
½ cup plain flour
2 eggs, beaten
¾ cup plain breadcrumbs
4 cups plain flour
½ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. nutmeg
1 ¼ cup milk
4 Tbsp. Butter
1 brown onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 cups brown mushrooms, sliced
4 Tbsp. plain flour
2 cups beef stock
½ tsp. salt
½ tsp. pepper
¼ tsp. thyme
2 Tbsp. heavy cream
How to make it
- Preheat deep fryer to 180°C.
- Using a meat mallet, pound each of the loin steaks between 2 pieces of cling wrap until they are 1 cm thick. Sprinkle both sides with salt and pepper.
- Place the flour, egg and breadcrumbs in 3 separate bowls. Coat the pork in the flour, followed by the egg and the breadcrumbs. Set aside.
- Combine spätzle ingredients into a mixing bowl. Place dough hook onto the mixing stand and ‘knead’ for 20 mins or until bubbles appear.
Note: add more milk if too dry and more flour if too wet.
- Bring a med. saucepan of water to a boil. Using a Spätzle press (or a colander), press the mixture into the water and cook for 2-3 mins.
- Drain the spätzle and toss through some butter to stop it from sticking together.
- Melt 2 Tbsp. of butter for the gravy in a med. frypan over high heat. Cook onions, garlic and mushrooms for 2 mins.
- Add the leftover butter and flour and stir continuously for 2 mins.
- Add the beef stock, thyme, salt and pepper. Stir continuously until the gravy has thickened. Cover and simmer on low for 10 mins. Add heavy cream.
- Place each schnitzel in the deep fryer for 2 – 3 mins or until cooked through and golden brown.
- Serve immediately with spätzle and mushroom gravy.